Monday, August 9, 2010

Writing it into Being

On July 24, 2010, I went to "Auntie's bookstore" and was looking in "my" section of the bookshop--the Christian books section. Usually I do not look at the novels on the left or I do look but shield my eyes. I do not want certain things before my eyes. Somehow, however, I glanced up to the top shelf and this one book kept staring at me just like Karen Kingsbury's Return stared out at me at the parish library. (I need to be aware of the signs.)

The book had a white cover with a serene picture of a man and a woman standing arms crossed and at arms length (well not arms length but they might as well have been) looking at each other against a faded background of the sea (I assume..it is not that clear). The name: The Manual by Sherryle Kiser Jackson. I read the back cover copy and realized, much to my glee, that it was a Christian novel.

It was about a week before that I was wondering if there were any Jamaican authors and I found one Joy Campbell. Now it seems the Holy Spirit was leading me to find others. Christian authors in addition. I completed the book today. It was not the style of a certain female author and there were grammatical and spelling errors in a few places but the whole story just has motivated me to go ahead. It is time for me to write. So I will write.

I found out that the book was published by a publisher Urban Christian (I am getting happy about it). I guess I will give a better review of it later since it is late in the night. I could not relate to some of the mannerisms in the book except by what I have seen on television... behavior from urban America I assume. The plot was quite lovely though. I actually smiled at some points. I am not sure but I did not flow with it like I usually would. And yes, I was playing the critic. I actually expected that Deidre was going to write a manual on child-rearing but I saw that it took another twist. I loved how the sermons were written seamlessly into the book and how Andre took responsibility of his child eventually finding Christ. I wonder if I will reread it to get a better view of it.

I perhaps will...

No comments:

Post a Comment